Back to school tips. Starting the school year many of our young patients or children of our patients will pack their books, polish their shoes and head back to school, ready for the year ahead. However, kids don’t often think about the impact that common classroom activities like sitting in a classroom, carrying a heavy bag and excessive screen time can have on their overall health and wellbeing.
As part of the Australian Chiropractors Association’s Back to School campaign, Waverley Chiropractic Centre here in Mount Waverley is encouraging Aussie kids to adopt positive spinal health habits.
These habits include:
- Carrying a backpack correctly with both straps, adjusting it to the correct height and ensuring only the essentials are packed, with heavier items to the back of the bag to reduce weight.
- Maintaining good posture when sitting in a classroom by keeping their shoulders back and relaxed with both feet firmly on the floor.
- Trying to reduce recreation screen time to two-hours every day.
- Eating a balanced, healthy diet and staying hydrated, helping kits to keep kids active in the playground and alert in the classroom.
- Getting enough physical activity is key for a child’s wellbeing, so as a guide, kids should try and get at least 60 minutes of physical activity daily.
Let’s help kids practise these positive spinal health habits this back to school season and all year round.
I welcome you to make an appointment for more advice and assistance on implementing these positive health habits into your child’s daily activity.
We are even able to assist with fitting your child’s backpack to suit their current level of development. Contact us at Waverley Chiropractic Centre to book your appointment.
For more information on these tips and the Back to School campaign, visit backtoschool.org.au